Skip to main content

Every Day Songs-- Poems from Grief's First Year

2020.02.23 Every Day Songs-- Poems from Grief's First Year

Every day songs
Oct 10
heart is a bird 
Blue eyelids over blind eye-bulbs
Tremulous and fallen
Aged and unflown
Naked out of the stony ribs of the nest

August 12, 2019
For a moment i become aware
I have a shadow sisterself
At my right side overlapping me
Coinjoined by a lung like a blue venn diagramm
And
I am fine
I budget
I grumble
I diet
I fret but
I'm fine

She, all along
Weeps
For a moment i am drenched in her hot tears
Like a veil over her face

I am dragging my body through my life, and she is on my arm,
Invisible
A cool blue weight
Always crying
The strange tears on my face
Are hers.

10/31
Halloween today and
It's raining yellow leaves under
like cherry blossom petals in Japan.
Leaves living and bright as gold leaf across a screen.
A slight man walks down the road ahead of me, his hair a Blacktail at the back of the skull. He's hunched up against the cold and in all his jacket.
I drive past and turn to see his face. Old, smooth, native. Unfamiliar in the details, intimate in the expression.
I can't, for a moment, remember what my husband's hair look like. Then an image rises.
A coiled black bun at the nape of the neck. A woven tweed hat, a nod to Okinawan Sammy send players, and Scottish poet. A dark unsmiling gaze. A winking gentleness. A shared world.
It's all hallows eve, and the falling pedals are souls. Gold and beautiful and lost.
I hear their voices, feel the press of their ghostly fingerprints against the glass the panes.
They leave a cold sillouette
In quiet steam.
Where is he? Where has he gone? I'm shocked and offended suddenly.
Where? How can this be? How can that nape, that knowing wink, that looping doubling wit-- be vanished-- like last year's fallen leaves?
The jacket hunched against the cold. Walking on ahead of me

10/9/18
Fox faced spirits chortle,
Mad as children, wild, fey
Reckless with our short and tony lives
They see us as we are
Ripples on their surface
Of a great starlit sky


How can i love a man who is a hard bright and hot as the creator-miasma-rock that is the animated swirling core of the sun?
Who is wild and arrogant, broad shouldered and relentless as a buffalo
And clear seeing and distant as an eagle?
Who jokes and whips around his words like a sharp web?
Joyfully, with my bare feet pressed into the warm bread-dough mud. I may not have the words for it, but my body is a well into the dark and endless womb-earth. I'm neverendingly enough. Not a cloudy buddha, but an earthy one, milk sticky breasts, blood-tacky thighs, round and ripened belly, rough hands and feet for tying the umbilicus chords together, back to the piko.
The tricks, the arrogance, the distance, the searing bright sentience, all seek the peaceful dark refuge of the earth-bed.



10/9/18
A scooped out moment of modern digital weirdness
Reading seamus heaney poems in kindle book form, North
A line, a stanza highlighted
About corpses pale and marble eyed
And willows succumbing to the boggish suck and pull
The faint digital smear
Of my dead husband's mind
A moment of attention
The brief light of his gaze
Colored those words

Like the ephemera of "likes" dotting the digital world of photos, articles,
The tiny spark of a dead brain

What note sounded in his soul when he read these cold words:
I grew out of all this like a weeping willow inclined to the appetites of gravity,


7/14/2018

My love is an ocean
Big, in liquid motion, dark
Crawling and climbing up onto the sand
Striving, carrying the mirrors of the stars
Exhaling oxygen from tiny phytoplankton mats
Strange humped shapes beneath exhale, and rise for air with an audible gasp and a stately descent.
Dotted with fierce taloned angels, polymorphs who streak up and dive down in a pile of bubbles.
Multichrome fish Flashing with bright coral brilliance
And weighted in the midnight zone with befanged nightmares.

If you let me
I will love you
Endlessly
As wild and rich as
The whole ocean

The cost is only kindness
Safety
Love

And i will give you the whole blue world
That i am.



4/16/2018
I was a little worried my heart was turned to stone
Cant feel anything, happy or sad
A little worried that my tears weren't falling
So my funny body said
You can't feel? Okay, then, feel SICK. Pain in your back, twisting your hands, pounding in your head.
You cant cry? Weep some blood and pus.

Thanks body, i'd rather cry. 


April 20, 2017. I am trying, trying, not to be better. I am trying, trying to keep a good face on, smile and sweep up, grin and bear hug it out, I am trying, I am trying I just need a breather, give me a break,  i'm trying goddamnit I'm trying.

The way you see the world they say is how your world will feel, so smile your way through all the ups and downs, just put a good face on it and those demons will not hunt you, I'm trying, I'm trying to hang on

I tell myself I am not shooting for perfection, reassure myself I'm just trying to get by, but every little Jott and tittle drives me up the wall I'm trying, trying grin and bear it.
4/18/17
Here's the first of the songs I want to sing,
a blue robins egg half shaped wing,
the back-and-forth of early spring
better shape it into a song.

I just want to leave a mark,
just want to gather up the strings and threads of things I find,
just want to make a nest,
weave it into a song.

Always feel like you're forgetting,
never know what you'll be regretting,
best be safe and hold it close to your chest,
make it safe in your warm little nest.
Time for a song.

Spring is the time for new beginnings,
letting go of old never-ending's,
time to let old things be dead and gone, time to sing a new song.





Search
Clear search
Close search
Google Account
Kawaikini English
kawaikinienglish@gmail.com
Main menu
Google apps







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everything I Knew About Claudia Brown

Trip to Edinburgh!

Sex & Power, Gender &Transgression: LGBT+ Diversity in the 15th and 16th Centuries