"I'll make a man! Out of you!!!!"

 Storytime!
    Today I had a long string of ignored texts from the pharmacy, informing me that our various prescriptions were all ready for pickup. It was nearly time to go pick up RJ from school, so I decided to stop at the pharmacy on the way. MP insisted on coming with me, because she is finally over her cough and still on strike for her online 6th grade classwork, and bored out of her mind. That meant I had to bribe Liko out of the bathtub, where she was happily practicing singing underwater. She proudly informed me that she could laugh underwater, so I never needed to worry about her drowning, and thus she would be perfectly FINE if I left her at home alone, in the bathtub, MOTHER!!
    This was not as reassuring as she thought.
    "Cake pop, Liko! Get out of the tub, come with us, and you'll get a cake pop!"
    Geriatric motherhood means bribery.
    She emerged, slightly mollified, like a queen dowager. I pulled a dress over her wet body and MP bullied her into the car.
    First stop: Starbucks for the aforementioned greasy-palm cakepop, and pumpkin cold brew for MP and an oat milk chai latte for me, because free drinks! (And because Starbucks has my number. I will 100% do ridiculous things for imaginary points and occasional free coffee.)
    Then, drinks in hand, Maile DJ-ing the kpop on her playlist on the car speakers, we went to the pharmacy. The tech listed the prescriptions, and then said, and here's the needles, the sharps disposal, and the dosage--
*record scratch*
    Wait, what??
    RJ's first doses of T came through.
    Just yesterday it still hadn't been approved, but today, there it is, IN HAND.
    I thought it would be at least till January, since insurance and doctors and letters and who knows what all else-- but VOILA.
    I checked my heart. Calm. A tiny inner shrug of, Kahlil Gibran's peom:

And a woman who held a babe against her bosom said
"Speak to us of children"
They are the sons and daughters of life's longing for itself
They come through you but not from you
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you
For they have their own thoughts
You may house their bodies but not their souls
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow
You may strive to be like them
But seek not to make them like you
For life goes not backward, nor tarries with yesterday
As living arrows are sent forth
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite
And he bends you with his might
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness
For even as he loves the arrow that flies
So he loves also the bow that is stable


    So, T in hand, we went to go pick him up from school. We were a little late, and it's a friday, so most of the other kids had cleared out, and he was waiting in his usual spot in the parking lot, tall, dressed in black, his bangs long and hiding his beautiful face as he looked at his phone.
    As we got close, MP pressed play on the song she had cued, and I rolled down the windows and cranked up the music.
Musical noteDramatic Drum IntroMusical note
Musical noteLETS GET DOWN TO BUSINESSMusical note Musical noteAND DEFEATMusical note Musical noteTHE HUNS!!Musical note
He looked up, quizzical, and recognized the song. I held up the bag from the pharmacy at him, and he suddenly GOT IT

Musical noteAND DEFEAT
Musical note
Musical noteTHE HUNSMusical note

He started cracking up laughing, nearly bent double as he came towards the car, and all of us inside were cackling and singing along:

Musical noteMister, I'll make a man out of you!!!Musical note

Musical noteTranquil as a forest But on fire within Once you find your center You are sure to win!!
But on fire within
Once you find your center
You are sure to win!!Musical note

We were all smiling so hard our guts hurt, and he climbed into the car, laughing, "That was awesome, that was awesome!!"
And he gripped the bag all the way home, and flashed little heart fingers at me through the window when I picked up spicy wantons and tomato oxtail soup from our favorite Chinese place.

I love that kid, so much.

Next week is thanksgiving. We've given up on turkey, and we're planning on celebrating by having only exactly what we want.

Happy T day!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everything I Knew About Claudia Brown

Trip to Edinburgh!

Sex & Power, Gender &Transgression: LGBT+ Diversity in the 15th and 16th Centuries